July 18, 2007

I still remember my first trip to the beach

I must have been 3 or 4 years old. The car got packed up and at the last minute I jumped in. I was anxious about where we were going and stared out the window the entire ride. I remember the windows being rolled up when we got on the highway and I could no longer stick my head into the wind and feel the breeze.
Once in the parking lot we all rushed out and raced each other down to the water. I didn't even stop to examine the dunes, or investigate the seagulls. The water was so cold and exhilarating, I swam and swam that day, in and out of the waves. Only later did I come away from the shore and felt the sand in between my toes and took in the smell of the ocean. I was happy and tired at the end of the day, as I got back into the car for the journey home. I made three quick circles around my tail and fell asleep in the back, among the towels.

No comments: