July 28, 2008

I am a tri-athlete!



Here is my quick race report – I was so nervous at the swim start and walking down to the beach. It didn’t help that we were delayed 40+ minutes, except that I got to talk to some of the other survivors which is always so inspiring. I was lucky going into the swim to be in the front of the pack, after the first buoy I found a good groove and was able to actually do some crawl. I was so happy with my swim time and felt good when I got out of the water. The transition was a little bumpy, I had forgotten to adjust my bike seat so I had to stop a few times and get it in the correct position. I have the least experience on the bike (I had to borrow one for the race) but with that in mind I just put my head down and kept pedaling. I did not get off that bike – went into granny gear for the hills and kept repeating “I am a gorgeous athlete”. The mantra worked and although lots of people passed me on the left I felt good about my ride. The ride to run was the hardest and my calves were stiff for the first mile. I am a very slow runner, but really enjoyed this part of the race. I was finally able to look around and feel the love from the crowd. Again, my goal was “do not stop”. I was able to run my slow pace the entire way up and down those little hills and by the last ½ mile was feeling so good that I even kicked it up a little! I am so smiling today!

No comments: