April 15, 2008

words from the wedding

As you know I went to a huge wedding this weekend and unexpectedly heard a really good sermon. The ceremony was Christian with a reading from Mary Baker Eddy and the minister was Christian Science. He emphasized the importance of support from friends and family. He also spoke about a “vocabulary lesson” for marriage. Here is what he said were the most important words for a successful marriage,

6 words- “I am sorry, I was wrong”

5 words- “You do that very well”

4 words- “What do you think?”

3 words- “I love you”

2 words- “Thank you”

1 word- “We”

The more I think about these words and phrases the more I am struck by how true they are and how there is very little else to say if you can learn to say these honestly and with love. I continue to be amazed at how much I love my husband after 18+ years and how we really are having the best years of our marriage right now. I am so glad that we were able to get through the really nasty years when the kids were young and I hope that we can stay strong through the teenage years ahead of us.

No comments: