January 5, 2009

Making plans for 2009


On a Monday morning in early December my running partner Suzanne im'ed me before 9 am at work... very unusual for Suzanne. Most of our communication in the past has been via email and was kept to when/where/what route we were going to run that day, we saved all our real talking for the runs together - Suzanne talks, I huff and puff and grunt along side her.

Anyway, we were im'ing away and she wondered why I hadn't responded to email from the night before about running another 1/2 marathon in the spring, and specifically the Covered Bridges 1/2 Marathon. Nope, I hadn't gotten her email, and besides after my disastrous debut in the 1/2 marathon last year.. no way was I doing that torture again...

Except that Suzanne sent me the link to the website.. and the reviews and the course description (it goes downhill!).. and the registration opens this morning and fills up in less than 2 hours. Suzanne was in, and I don't think she was even telling me about it to ask if I would run with her. Ugh! Of course, given the competition to register before the spaces were filled I had to try. It only costs $40, which is a cheap registration fee and I was in by 9:15. The race closed before 10 am. Of course I am feeling flush with victory!

Yikes, except that I have the first race for the 2009 calendar.. and it is a 1/2 marathon - a race that is at the outer limits of my ability.
It turns out that this is the beginning of my 2009 resolutions.. not that I will be faster, but that I will continue to push myself, to new races and new challenges.
The middle of the pack would be a nice goal for '09.

No comments: