March 26, 2008

The cancer ghost stays with you

So, this blog really is not about my cancer and related issues, however, once you have cancer and even after you think you are cured, cancer stays with you forever! Here is the story… I went to the dentist this morning to get my regular 6 month teeth cleaning. I do not love the dentist, however I really love my clean teeth. I can relate this loosely to running, I don’t love to run but I love the results. I was in the chair with the napkin on mentally preparing myself for the scraping and the hygienist informed me that I was due for my annual x-ray. Last year I had just finished up with 33 radiation zaps and declined to get the annual x-rays. This year I also declined, the conversation went something like this;

Hygienist “We need to take some x-rays this morning before we start the cleaning”

Carolyn “hmmmm… is there a reason, because I recently had cancer and got a lot of radiation to my head and would prefer to just get the regular cleaning”

Hygienist “well, it is standard procedure to get annual x-rays and you missed last year, so it has been nearly 20 months”

Carolyn “unless there is a reason, I would prefer not to have x-rays”

Hygienist “this is not standard procedure, I will have to get Laurie the office manager”

Carolyn “ok”

Laurie “Carolyn, it is standard procedure to get annual x-rays. We cannot clean your teeth without x-rays”

Carolyn “I have never had any problems with my teeth and I prefer to keep the level of radiation exposure to my head at a minimum, (I am thinking.. just in case I ever have to go through it again) so, I guess I will have to go somewhere else.”

At this point I stand up and take off the dinner napkin. This sounds stronger than I actually felt, because it was very unexpected and I really hate confrontation, but I actually walked out of the dentist office. I guess we have officially broken up because I also called my insurance company to make sure that I was not charged for the appointment.

Just as a way to make things work out, Teddy has an appointment this afternoon with a different dentist and so I will have a chat with the office manager at that dental office and see if perhaps they can be somewhat more flexible and compassionate on the annual x-ray thing… sigh… I was really looking forward to those clean teeth.

No comments: