March 27, 2008

The run is on!

Notice that I did not say “race”, because I will in fact not be racing.  My goal is to finish and then feel tired and happy about how far I have progressed since starting this “hobby”.  Until I can actually achieve a 10 minute mile I will still officially be a jogger and I have to say that even that feels pretty good.  I looked at the results of the 10 mile run from last year and it looks like if all goes well I will not finish last.  Seriously, I have in fact finished last in 2 out of 5 races this winter and while the races that I completed had a very small field of competitors, someone must be last.  I do not even feel bad about that.  For example, let’s review the Super Sunday 10k that S and I ran in Boston.  It was Superbowl Sunday at 8:30 am and there were only 5 women in our age group and only about 100 runners total.  I was last and I still was able to feel great because it was my best time ever!  I won’t dwell on the details that I kept trying to stop and walk and S bullied me to the finish line, the important thing is really that we were there and not home sitting on the couch eating chicken wings and drinking beer (note that I actually never do that anyway).

A really nice thing about this run is that the 10 mile and the marathon start together and it is a very small race.  I can actually take the bus out to the starting line and wait around with Lee, I am really loking forward to that.  Then of course he will dash off and I will begin my 2 hour plod. J

 

No comments: