October 15, 2008

Running update


7:05 am
I am proud to say that one year ago I ran my first real "race" - the Tufts 10k. I ran with my very very good friends Michelle and Suzanne and the three of us have continued to run together for the entire year. Suzanne and I made it through 13.1 miles in May and Michelle and I "tri-ed" together twice, with plans for more next summer.

I have so many milestones in the fall - I am nearly two years "cancer free". Last night Teddy and I went for a run together and he kicked my butt and we only went 2.5 miles! He has come a long way in the last month (since joining the cross country team) and I have progressed only in distance and not in speed. I am thinking that I need to find a coach this winter and start working on being a little more competitive.

Walking around Chicago all weekend with runners everywhere inspired me to continue to compete and enter races. All those marathoners look at eachother with a very self satisfied smug look - I am in the club, are you in the club?

I'm not in the club, and I never wanted to be in the club, but suddenly I am thinking about the club...

10:43 am

I am back at my desk and decided to finish up my post for the day.. I just went back and re-read what I wrote this morning.. before coffee and reality had set in...

I do not want to run a marathon - let's be very clear about what I was fantasizing about. I do not want to run a marathon. I think it is very cool that other people (emphasis here) enjoy the silly sport and I enjoy watching them. I do not want to run a marathon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.